What are the Chakras?
The chakras are the main energy centers of your body. When you hear people talk about “unblocking” their chakras, it refers to the idea that when all of our chakras are open, energy can run through them freely and keep us in a healthy, and harmony will exist between our physical body, mind, and spirit. Chakra translates to “wheel” in Sanskrit, they are like wheels of free flowing positive energy.
The Root Chakra
The Root Chakra represents our foundation. It sits at the base of the spine and gives us the feeling of being grounded. When the root chakra is open, we feel confident in our ability to withstand challenges and be brave and independent. When it’s blocked, we feel threatened and unsure, as if we’re standing on unstable ground.
- Location: Base of spine, in tailbone.
- What it controls: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food
- Mantra: “I can’t grow from an unsteady foundation.”
- Color: Red
- Element: Earth
- Stone: Hematite
- When it develops: 1-7 years old
The Sacral Chakra
The sacral chakra helps us understand how we relate to our emotions and the emotions of other people around us. It also controls our creativity and sexual energy. Those with a blocked sacral chakra could feel a lack of control in their lives.
- Location: Lower abdomen, just below the navel
- What it controls: Your sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, and sexuality.
- Mantra: “I always honor others but not before myself.”
- Color: Orange
- Element: Water
- Stone: Tiger’s Eye
- When it develops: 8-14 years old
The Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra, speaks to our ability to feel confident and in control of our lives. Think back to the last time you had butterflies or felt a pit in the stomach: That’s the Manipura chakra at work. If your solar plexus chakra is blocked, you could feel overwhelming amounts of shame and self-doubt. Those with open sacral chakras are free to express their true selves.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area
- What it controls: Self-worth, self-confidence, and self-esteem.
- Mantra: “Self-love starts when I accept all parts of myself.”
- Color: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Stone: Amber
- When it develops: 15-21 years old
The Heart Chakra
The heart chakra is the bridge between the lower chakras (associated with materiality) and the upper chakras (associated with spirituality). This chakra can influence our ability to give and receive love from others and ourselves. Someone with a blocked heart chakra will have difficulty fully opening up to the important loved ones in their life. If someone’s heart is open, they can experience deep compassion and empathy.
- Location: Center of chest, just above the heart
- What it controls: Love, joy, and inner peace
- Mantra: “When I love myself, loving others comes easily.”
- Color: Green
- Element: Air
- Stone: Rose Quartz
- When it develops: 21-28 years old
The Throat Chakra
The throat chakra gives voice, to your the heart chakra, and controls your ability to communicate personal power. When it’s functioning perfectly, we can express ourselves truly and clearly. When it is blocked you will struggle finding the words to say how you truly feel.
- Location: Throat
- What it controls: Communication, self-expression, and truth
- Mantra: “I speak my truth, always.”
- Color: Light Blue/Turquoise
- Element: Sound/Music
- Stone: Aquamarine
- When it develops: 29-35 years old
The Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra controls our ability to see whats really going on around us under the surface and connects to our intuition and ability to see beyond our normal vision. Its the eye of your soul: It collects information beyond the surface level. Visions and intuitive hits are not uncommon for someone with an open third-eye chakra.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes (also called the Brow Chakra)
- What it controls: Intuition, imagination, and wisdom
- Mantra: “I am open to exploring what cannot be seen.”
- Color: Dark Blue/Purple
- Element: Light
- Stone: Amethyst
- When it develops: 36-42 years old
The Crown Chakra
The highest chakra, sits at the crown of the head and represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually to the world around us. When your crown chakra is fully open you’re able to access a higher consciousness which will open you up to seeing the world and the things around you from a completely different perspective.
- Location: The very top of the head
- What it controls: Inner and outer beauty, spiritual connection
- Lesson: “I am a vessel for love and light.”
- Color: Violet/White
- Element: Divine Consciousness
- Stone: Clear quartz
- When it develops: 43-49 years old